Friday, April 11, 2008

Why Good Employees Leave?

I just started reading a great book. "30 Reasons Employees Hate their Managers" by Bruce Katcher. So far it is a great read, I will give a full review when I am done but I wanted to comment briefly on the first sentence of the introduction. "Employees hate management". Pretty bold statement isn't it? I picked up this book at my local bookstore mainly because of the title. It jumped out at me mainly because I have seen so many great employees leave great situations all because of one person. That's right, their manager. I am a firm believer in the old saying that people leave people, not companies. There is no gimmick or program or HR quick fix that will ever have the same impact on retention as a superior manager. In today's talent wars I see a lot of gimmicks, a lot of "programs" (ie. signing bonuses) to get people in the door and then try to keep them. How many companies are putting some of that cash into training and developing the person who will really determine if that great new employee stays or goes? So be kind to your managers, give them the tools and support they need to do their jobs well and they will take care of your business.

Jim

No comments:

 
Subscribe in a reader